Sunday 14 August 2022

What causes "dry eye"? in Senior Health

What causes "dry eye"? in Senior Health
Question: 

"I am having trouble with my corneas again. I have scratches on them. I have really blurry vision like I have to get within about 5 or less inches of the computer screen to read it. 

I am wearing my glasses and it seems to be worse then with contacts but the optomitrist says no contacts. I am using FML steriod drops to heal the corneas. 

They appear to be dry but don't feel that way. Something was said about a relationship between arthritis and dry corneas. I can not find anything. Can you see if you can find some information for me"

Answer:

Guide Responds:

Dry eye can be caused by many different factors.

  • Menopause can cause dry eyes. The decrease in hormones can cause a drying of the mucous membranes including the eyes.
  • Living in a dry climate can cause dry eyes.
  • Decongestants that are used for allergies and drying of nasal congestion can also cause dry eye.
  • Infection in the eyes can cause dry eyes. The inflammation caused by the infection can cause the tear ducts to be blocked.
  • Wearing contact lenses can cause dry eye. The material in contact lenses is designed to absorb fluid and can soak up the natural fluids on the eyes. Should the contact lenses become scratched, they can cause irritation and dryness.
  • Dry eye can be related to Rheumatoid Athritis, not Osteoarthritis.

Your physician will normally order eye drops to moisten the eye, and eye drops to reduce inflamation (steroid eye drops). If contact lenses are the culprit, it may mean that the wearer must go back to eyeglasses permanently.


This QnA is sourced from: http://seniorhealth.about.com

No comments:

Post a Comment